KMbeing

Knowledge Mobilization (KMb): Multiple Contributions & Multi-Production Of New Knowledge

The “Growth” of Knowledge Mobilization (KMb)

Unfortunately, I have been ill with a bacterial infection – and am actually writing this blog while in hospital this past week. There’s definitely something wrong with me – and not just for writing a blog from a hospital bed. To put it bluntly, my neck has a golf ball size lump that medical teams, blood work and CT scans are still trying to figure out.

As I sit writing this with an i.v. drip hooked in my arm, I debated whether I should even write a blog (or even share my personal information). But as anyone who has ever stayed in a hospital can tell you, there’s plenty of time on your hands as you start feeling better, (yet aren’t quite ready to be released). I also owe something to my regular KMbeing blog readers, Twitter followers (@KMbeing), colleagues and supporters who might be wondering “what’s up?” with a lack of recent posts or contact. The good news is my doctors expect me to be released for further home recovery within a couple more days where I’ll continue using antibacterial medication with the hope that the golf ball in my neck continues to get smaller.

(This is my CT scan with my chin at the top. On the upper-right is my normal jaw line and on the upper left is my growth)

While in hospital, I’m still thinking about my work in Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) – particularly on a more personal level – not on my usual professional level as a Digital Researcher. As I interact daily with the daily rounds of how everyone here in the hospital seems to communicate – informing and being informed from many directions about how to improve my medical issue – I again see how KMb is more than just knowledge dissemination. KMb is multi-directional and multi-layered. It has a personal level and a professional level. KMb is not just about providing or exchanging information. KMb is about contributing personal knowledge to a range of people who also contribute collaboratively with the end result creating benefit or improvement.

Doctors, nurses, radiologists, medical students, and even other patients all contribute individually to a collective knowledge process personally and professionally. Personally, it’s important for me as a patient (or any patient) to learn from them to help me (or anyone) get better. Professionally, it’s also important for them to learn from the experiences of individual patients to provide better care for other patients and provide overall benefit to the greater medical profession. By providing and receiving a variety of inputs of knowledge (including abilities, experience, and stories) – not just information – improvement is made by health care teams both personally and professionally.

I have questioned and have been questioned by health care workers and other patients. I have listened to and have been listened to by a variety of hospital staff and other illness sufferers.

This isn’t just due to my illness. I have always been a person curious about many things, asking questions, enjoying learning from the experiences of others, and teaching from my own. As my illness has progressed and runs its course, I’ve learned much about bacterial infections and the process of treatment that I never realized before.

In the end, this is probably the most personal KMbeing blog I will write. However, I feel and think it’s important to look inside AND outside our individual knowledge boxes. We need to unpack a few personal things on our professional desks and let everyone see, contribute to, and take away from. Then, the final improvement is not only on a personal level (my own health improvement), but also on the greater scale of social improvement through the growth of knowledge mobilization. (Ah-hum…pun intended).

8 responses to “The “Growth” of Knowledge Mobilization (KMb)

1. Gerald Meinert February 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hi,
    first of all, get well soon!
    Interesting reading, especially as I was in hospital a week ago.

A A lot of time to think in hospital; well what is KMbeing thinking about – KMb
    B Apart from the emotional site, you scrutinize your environment with your professional eyes, you just can’t help it.
    My impression: the hospital was more process-optimized then customer-oriented, the biggest failure: missing knowledge flows

regards
    gerald

• KMbeing February 20, 2011 at 9:43 am

I appreciate your comment Gerald. Sorry to hear you were also in hospital. It must be the season or something for it (LOL). Best wishes to you also for a speedy recovery.

I like your suggestion that knowledge flows are often overlooked – even in the most everyday (and sometimes not everyday) experiences and environments.

• ErikaH February 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Wishing you a very speedy recovery, Gary!
        Sounds like an uncomfortable and somewhat frightening experience that will hopefully be just a memory. I had actually wondered what was keeping you offline but wrongly assumed you must be ‘wintering’ in the Caribbean, or somewhere equally rejuvenating.
        Thanks for going outside your comfort zone and writing about a personal experience. I agree with Research Impact that it’s wonderful how you turned this experience into a KMb opportunity. And thank you for sparing us all any detailed descriptions of the hospital menu!
        Best,
        Erika

• KMbeing February 22, 2011 at 7:43 am

Hi Erika,

I wish it was just a “sunny sunshine” vacation instead of a hospital stay. But I’m now on the mend and making efforts to gear up again in the Twittersphere.

I appreciate your warm wishes and look forward to contiunued connections and knowedge mobilization.

2. Peter Levesque February 19, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Gary,

Sometimes when we don’t know what to do, we pray. You are in mine tonight.

Prayer is not a lack of knowledge but a hopeful call for knowledge. Knowledge mobilization is a state of being – of realizing we are all connected and that sharing is one of the best things we can do. I thank you for your kind, thoughtful and human(e) way of sharing with the world.

Big hugs from a big loving guy,

Get better soon!

Peter

• KMbeing February 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

Peter your kinds words, thoughts, and wishes are deeply appreciated.

I completely agree that knowledge mobilization IS a state of being. We always have chances to mobilize knowledge and make the world a better place whenever or wherever we are.

3. researchimpact February 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love how Gary can turn any subject, even that of a hospital stay, to KMb. he does it with grace and humour. I am certain the entire broker-sphere joins me and Peter Levesque in wishing him well.

A big broker bear hug to go along with Peter’s.

David.

• KMbeing February 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

Wow! With all these BIG hugs for a speedy recovery, I’m sure to be back to my utmost KMbeing self before long.

Thanks David for best wishes, and pass along my thanks to all those knowledge brokers looking for new and “interesting” places to find KMb in action.